I decided to participate in GetNoticed. Short story even shorter, it’s about writing OpenSource code and blog about it (and IT).
I chose to make a port of old game - The Settlers II in Elixir. Being more specific I will focus only (or mainly) on backend. Why?
- I've never made any "serious" app in Elixir/Erlang/F# any other functional language - this seems like a good opportunity
- I feel like this is the good way of learning Elixir itself
- Creating backend only will force me to solve some challenging design problems
- UI will be easily changeable, so anyone can make their own version of game. Imagine The Settlers 2 in space, or Stone Age!
- I feel like there's not enough "nice" code in the GameDev world. One project won't make a difference, but won't hurt as well
- It's a scary challenge
- I love this game
I will deep dive into details with next posts. Also, expect at least one commit per week! Here’s repository for the project on GitHub for you to follow.